Sunday 29 January 2012

THE ACCIDENT OF MORALS


                                    THE ACCIDENT OF MORALS

                                                                                                                                   


                  by Srikkanth Dhasarathy Rajendran



“When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.” - Dale carneige

                            "SMOKING KILLS”, 'Smokers Die Younger'- What an Epic Fail? thought Dr.Ananth Narayan,Psychiatrist, flipping the pack of "MARLBORO" on his desk. Inspite of these warnings, People, however would smoke their Lungs out. The Day I figure this out-I would have made a revolution in the field of psychiatry, He told himself and lit up his stick.
                 As Dr.Ananth was busy making his miniscule contribution to Global Warming, smoking; The Phone rang. Mrs. Ananth was at the other end.
                 “Yeah! Okay! Fine! Right ! sure!”….A string of monosyllabic words was all that the Doctor could manage. Soon, he realized his mistake. The day he figures out, “How to satisfy a Woman?”- Dr. Ananth Narayan would find his place in the record books as the “GOD OF PSYCHIATRY”. He finished his smoke.
                The Phone rang again. This time, it was Inspector Datta. A Subject was being sent to the Doctor’s Clinic. The Doctor has to examine him and certify if he is mentally stable. The case history has been sent to the Doctor through Fax. The Doctor gave out a sigh; Another Psychotic to start the day with!
                *Door Opens*. A sober- looking average built young man was accompanied by two constables. The Doctor signaled the constables to make the “subject” sit opposite to him. They obliged and left the room to wait outside until the Doctor gets done with his observations.
                The Doctor looked at the “subject”. The young man looked older than his age. The Doctor took some time studying all his features. Medium-built, Unshaven, shabby looks. But, His eyes were not filled with hatred. On the other hand, His eyes expressed relief. The eyes of a satisfied and a contented Human- a Rare sight. The Doctor seemed confused.
               “I-am-not-a Psycho”, The subject blurted in a hushy tone.
               Ah-Perfect! That’s what everyone who comes to me says. Sometimes, I get a feeling that I am the one who requires counseling. Perfectly Normal son!! Now, If you don’t mind, would you bother sharing your problems with me? The Doctor started..
                With the Case history in his hand, The Doctor went near the Subject,' I am informed that you are accused of setting Black BMW’S on fire, 18 in total'. And, the last BMW, you set ablaze constituted a human victim.
                Jeez!! The Doctor’s face went awry. He regained his composure soon and said, “Thank God! I drive a Toyota” with a chuckle, trying to be humorous .
               The Subject gave no reaction. His face was stern. The Doctor realised his humor did’nt work out.
               Son! I am trying to help you here. I would like you to co-operate with me, The Doctor pleaded. The subject’s reaction was Nil. The Doctor got furious, He lit up another cigarette.
              Slowly, With utmost care, The patient took out a note from the inside of his shirt pocket. A Newspaper cutting. It was dated three months back.
              The Doctor started to get an Idea of what he was dealing with
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12th OCTOBER, 2011:
                              It was Quarter past 6 in the evening. Twilight had just set in. Delhi looked stunningly beautiful. Shwetha was on her apartment terrace when her Phone beeped. A text from Samir. It read: “ Party ton8 @ The Muffins, ll pick ya up by 7. Dress up Bum!”.
                              Samir was on time. Shwetha got herself into his brand new Black BMW 750li. Samir’s Dad is an Industrialist. A hot-shot. That entitled Samir to splurge in a number of luxuries. Among them,  the BMW 7 series was the latest addition.
                               Linkin Park and Pink Floyd helped in creating a Concert-like ambience inside the Car. They reached the Pub after an hour-and-a-half long drive, thanks to the Traffic of Delhi.
                               You know shweta, “ There is a similarity between  Rock concerts and Disco Nights like this. The crowd at both the places have no idea of what they are upto. Completely lost. People shake their heads at everything metal. While, The former place requires sober and doped looks, Its all about Trendy wears and designer outfits here. Most of the crowd don’t give a shit about the music that’s being played. Am amazed all those DJ asses get paid a fortune. Most of them come to get drunk; the rest, to get laid, if lucky.” Funny, ain’t it!! Samir gave a questioning look.!
                              “Save your Gyaan ! Bum, You ve’nt even started drinking yet!” shweta snapped back with a quirky smile.
                              It was 15 minutes before the start of the next day, when Samir and Shweta left the Pub. Both were on a high after more-than-enough rounds of Tequila. This was not the first time, Samir indulged in driving under the influence of alcohol. But, that night, it was a different story altogether. The Alcohol consumed made his Central Nervous System dance to its tunes.
                          In a sudden turn of events, Samir lost control of his BMW and rammed into a sidewalk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         The Doctor was reading the Newspaper cutting in his hand, “CAR RAMS INTO SIDEWALK; 4 KILLED; 1 INJURED”
                        ‘That was my family’ The patient spoke for the first time.  Dead, All of Them. My younger sister,A child,all but 8 years old. The patient was now high on emotions.
                         Son, I could understand your plight. The Doctor started in a consoling tone. But, The Police are there ; Laws prevail. Burning Random cars is not going to bring your family back.
                         “Ha ha ha…..The patient gave out a hearty laugh. Police! Huh!  And grabbed the armrests of his chair with fury.
                         ‘What do you think,Doctor?” These Policemen caught me. I surrendered myself Doctor. I went to the Inspector and told him that I was the one setting those cars on fire. They were not ready to believe. I set one of their vehicles on fire. Now, I am here!! They think I am mentally sick, Doctor!! Ha..ha…ha…His laugh was now frightening.
                        “You know, Doctor! The Guy, who killed my family, was roaming scot-free. The Police records claimed that ‘The BMW that killed my family that night was stolen a week back’ and the owner was not arrested. An 'Unknown driver' was made responsible for my family's death. Your Laws were twisted to help the Rich.....Doctor!!  
                        I went and appealed for Justice, Doctor!! I was beaten up and thrown out. No one bothered . The Police, The Law. The Newspapers carried a lie. It was just another news in a corner , People would be least bothered about. I was fumed.
                      I tracked down BMW’S that I see and set them on fire at night, when no one notices. All of a sudden, I became News. Newspapers, Television channels; All were so concerned about the burnt BMW’S. I learnt that even special teams were formed to nab me. All, because, I set on fire some Cars. Such a cruel world !..A BMW has more value than human lives.
                      But, What about my family? No one bothered, because we were poor. Justice has never been  the luxury of the poor. I decided to put an end to this. One day, I came across that ‘bastard’ who was responsible for killing my family.
.
.
.
“And I…………a long silence followed.” The Doctor understood.
                    “I’ve had my revenge, Doctor! I don’t know, if I am right or wrong. But, I am satisfied. I can die peacefully now. Your Law can now sentence me to death. I have nothing to live for. The patient was crying now, unable to control his emotions.
                     Another 5 minutes of prolonged silence followed. The Doctor pressed the bell. The constables arrived and took the patient with them.
                     “ The Report will be faxed to the Inspector” ! The Doctor told one of the constables.

The Doctor smoked a marathon of cigarettes before he started to prepare his report.
                      “ ………………………………….AS PER MY OBSERVATIONS AND ANALYSIS, …………I COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT………………IS MENTALLY UNSTABLE,  AND SUGGEST THAT…………………………..BE TRANSFERRED FROM POLICE CUSTODY TO MEDICAL CUSTODY……..EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY”
.
                                                                                                                   -Dr. Ananth Narayan.

              The Doctor gave out a sigh!! What he did was completely unethical, according to his profession. It was against his morals. But, the turn of events that day made the Doctor’s Human emotions to take forefront. He was not bothered whether he was Right or Wrong. He was satisfied by his own Act. He saw himself in the mirror. His eyes reflected his emotions. That of a content man- a Rare sight ;  The Second time that day.


   P.S....You and I are not God.That relieves us of the luxury of deciding what is right or wrong. Every Person has his/her own set of Moral/Ethical values and most of them,on their journey of life have to compromise them,at one point or the other.I dont want to defend the acts of the Patient or the Doctor. All i wanted to say, was already quoted by Oscar Wilde-
                   
                             "THE WORLD IS A STAGE; BUT, THE PLAY IS BADLY CAST"



to know more about the person who narrated this follow him by clicking his facebook profile by Srikkanth Dhasarathy Rajendran



No comments:

Post a Comment